We have had our back go out from time to time, here are some quick facts from the American Chiropractic Association’s article Back Pain Facts & Statistics (click on the link to learn more!):
Although doctors of chiropractic treat more than just back pain, a large percentage of chiropractic patients visit their doctor looking for relief from this pervasive condition. In fact, 70 to 85 percent of all people have back pain at some time in their life.
A few interesting facts regarding back pain:
- Low back pain is the fifth most common reason for all physician visits in the United States.1,2
- Back pain is the most frequent cause of activity limitation in people younger than 45 years old.3
- Most cases of back pain are mechanical or non-organic—meaning they are not caused by serious conditions, such as inflammatory arthritis, infection, fracture or cancer.
- Approximately one quarter of U.S. adults reported having low back pain lasting at least one whole day in the past three months2 , and 7.6 percent reported at least one episode of severe acute low back pain within a one-year period. 4
- Low back pain is also very costly: approximately 5 percent of people with back pain disability account for 75 percent of the costs associated with low back pain.5
- One-half of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year.6 Approximately 2 percent of the U.S. work force is compensated for back injuries each year. 7
- Americans spend at least $50 Billion per year on back pain—and that’s just for the more easily identified costs.
Is your back bothering you? Contact us today and schedule your appointment!